The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

Justice for Protect the Pasture

Wolf Weekly 09/01: Opinion

In an effort to increase student engagement, Student Council and Wolf Pack Crew allowed the student body to vote on this year’s Homecoming theme. Students were presented with three options: Disney, Protect the Pasture and Netflix. And in a shocking turn of events, Netflix won.

The decision laid in the hands of the people. . .and the people chose wrong. While Netflix will allow for some cool costumes and hallway decorations, it simply cannot compare to the genius that was Protect the Pasture. This article is dedicated to the loss of the beloved theme.

Protect the Pasture, as indicated in the name, is a barn-yard theme. As pitched, each grade would’ve chosen an animal (chicken, cow, goat or pig) for its hallway’s theme. The football game would’ve seen dozens of cowboys and ranchers cheering on BVSW.

Not only is Protect the Pasture a simpler theme, allowing every student to participate in spirit days and at the football game, but it is also so hype. Imagine a “pig hallway” — epic.

Senior and Student Council member Alexis Dominic, who promoted Protect the Pasture on voting day, said she was disappointed that it didn’t win. “The overall theme would’ve come together well,” Dominic said. “In WPC, everyone liked the ‘barn-yard theme.’ It would’ve been so cute. But you know, tragedy occurred.”

And a tragedy it was. The seniors get first choice on the hallway theme, and many of us were leaning toward “GOAT” because of its obvious double-meaning.

“A goat would’ve been cool,” Dominic said. “It’s ‘greatest of all time’ and we’re seniors. We could’ve made a hall of fame. But a cow or a pig would’ve been a good second [choice].”

Protect the Pasture’s unforeseen loss is depressing, but we must say our goodbye and move on. While it’ll be hard to forget what could’ve been, we’ll have fun with Netflix.

“While it’s unfortunate, we’re going to have to move forward and make this Homecoming the best that it can be,” Dominic said.