The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

Streaming Never

Wolf Weekly 03/29: Opinion

On March 19, the school blocked Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max and Prime Video on student computers in order to reduce distractions in the classroom. Although students need to pay attention in school, blocking streaming services is not teaching students how to take their education into their own hands, but it is forcing them to do so. Also, these rules seem to hold no effect because students always find their way around the restrictions.

As backward as this may sound, removing temptations such as streaming services is a huge detriment to a student’s work ethic and understanding of natural consequences. It may help them in the short term to focus on their current work, but that isn’t simulating a “real-world” environment. When students leave high school and enter college or the workforce, there are going to be distractions of many kinds. If the student isn’t used to ignoring their wants and prioritizing the work that needs to be done, they will find it hard to be successful.

It is important to allow room for students to make wrong choices in lower stake environments, such as high school. Not only does this allow for natural consequences, such as low assignment or test scores to take hold, but students will actually learn from their mistakes, allowing them to grow. This growth will allow students to take their education into their own hands, which is a skill they can use for the rest of their lives.

I understand the concern from teachers and administrators and the intention behind this new rule. However, I truly believe that this will do more harm than good in the long run of a student’s life outside of high school.