The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

Restroom Restrictions

Wolf Weekly 08/25: Opinion

With a new school year comes new policies and routines, like the one addressed on the first day of school.

Students now have to put up their phones and grab a pass in order to go to the bathroom. Freshman Alison Chandler is one of those students.

“You can’t have your phones when you go to the bathroom,” Chandler said. “And you [have to go] one at a time.”

This causes a weight on a student’s shoulders where they feel they’re constantly being watched. However, Chandler thinks differently.

“In middle school we weren’t allowed to have our phones,” Chandler said. “So it’s not much of a difference.”

Chandler said she doesn’t feel affected by this new policy, but the seniors who have been here for four years are having difficulty adjusting to this change, including senior Octavia Borowiak-Miller.

“I think it’s kind of lame,” Borowiak-Miller said. “Because a lot of us are good people and I hate being punished for what other people do.”

While this new policy may be preventing some problems, it creates new concerns.

“What if girls have to get their monthly stuff and they have no way to contact anybody?” Borowiak-Miller said.

Students shouldn’t have to leave their property behind and risk it being stolen and should be able to take it with them in case of emergency. Those students doing the right thing shouldn’t be punished for the small group who doesn’t. 

“Why target the whole just because of a few?” Borowiak-Miller said.