The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

T-Wolf of the Week (01/26)

Reilly Eagan and Dane Weninger

The swim team season’s is in full gear, and two swimmers have been making their mark. Last weekend, sophomores, Reilly Eagan and Dane Weninger, broke records.

“It was pretty cool [to break the record], as of now the goal is to break other ones not held by me,” Eagan said.

Weninger has been swimming for eight years and discovered his love for the sport at a young age when he participated in his local team.

“When I was seven, I joined my neighborhood team, the Mills Farm Mustangs,” Weninger said. “I enjoyed swimming that year, so the next year I decided to join a club team, and I’ve been swimming ever since.”

Eagan had previously set the record for the 100 yard freestyle last year, but continued working again this year to break his own record.

“I set [my last record] at state, and it was not really a surprise because I had it going into the year, but I just did better at state,” Eagan said.

Swimming almost every day, Weninger continues to train to display his commitment to his team.

“I practice for multiple hours every day throughout the week and every day at practice,” Weninger said. “I just focus and train.”

Eagan said he felt welcome onto the join and is glad he made the decision to participate in the sport.

“I joined Southwest swim as a freshman because it has a really nice community and I’ve made a lot of friends through it,” Eagan said. “It’s just cool to be part of the team and people’s reactions to me breaking [the school records] were pretty cool.”

With much practice, Weninger said it was an amazing feeling and atmosphere when he hit the wall at the end of his race.

“Seeing that I’d hit that goal I set for myself was really special to me, and that I could do something like that myself,” Weninger said.