The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

T-Wolf of the Week (01/19)

Maclain Dahm

After graduation, many students go onto college or a trade. Senior Maclain Dahm, however, plans to take a gap year to play soccer in Alumuñécar, Spain.

“Two years ago, I knew a student named Josh Peterson,” Dahm said. “He went abroad to France…I thought that was really cool, so I reached out to him and I was like ‘is this a good idea’ and he was like ‘yeah, you should do it.’”

Sports Recruiting USA’s, or SRUSA’s, Study Abroad program gives students the opportunity to play a sport in another country after high school. Dahm said the try-out process was pretty simple.

“I was already in SRUSA,” Dahm said. “I had to send a film in, so they reviewed my highlight video…and I heard back a couple months later. Then I submitted my form, so it was pretty quick.”

While the gap year will be a major life transition, it will not be Dahm’s first trip to Spain. Dahm went on the Spanish Program’s Spain Trip in 2022, and he said it was a great experience.

“I did [the Spain Trip] two years ago — sophomore summer, going into junior year,” Dahm said. “If you have the opportunity to do that, I recommend it. It’s really fun.”

Dahm has been in the Spanish program since kindergarten, and he said its curriculum has prepared him to speak the language during his gap year.

“I think Southwest Spanish is really good…and Aubry Bend also prepares us for high school,” Dahm said. “All of the subjects are perfect for what I’m doing next year. Like, right now we’re learning numbers, so everything will tie together.”

Dahm said he has had many influences, including assistant soccer coach Terry Hair. Dahm said he’s had a great impact on him as a player and person, but he has many people to thank.

“[I’d like to thank] my mom, dad, siblings, teammates, and God,” Dahm said. “And my friends, they’re always competitive, so it’s made me competitive as well.”