The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

December News Briefs

AP CA IV performs play 

The senior AP CA IV classes taught by Marilyn Brewer decided take a new approach to the novel “The Stranger.” The novel features an existentialist man from Algeria who gets drawn into a superfluous murder. In each class, the students were assigned to write their own scripts and to create scenes in which they would collaborate and act out as a class. Brewer’s idea for the play caused students to step outside of their comfort zones and learn about leadership.

“Honor students are really good at taking order and listening,” Brewer said. “However, this project forces the students to step outside their comfort zone, take leadership and collaborate with others. I am excited to see who emerges as a leader, and to see what the students have created.”

The plays took place Dec. 12 and 13 in both the PAC and Blackbox.

NHS gives back 

What: NHS members have been working hard with community service and making multiple opportunities possible to get involved with the school and the community. The organization just finished working at the Luminary Walk held at the Overland Park Arboretum and created Holiday Mail for Heroes. These are cards for those serving overseas who can’t be home with their families during the holiday season. The next event on the to-do-list is an ongoing project to clean after all home basketball games, as well as tutor after school at Aubrey Bend.

Next meeting: Thursdays before after school

Time: 8:15 a.m. or 3 p.m.

Location: Fixed Forum

Debate pushes ahead 

Currently ranked in the top ten in the state amongst all programs, not just 5A, the debate team has acquired countless wins. The team’s focus this year was transportation infrastructure investment, which focuses on how the federal government should address or not address our transportation needs.

Head coach Jared Zuckerman had high standards for this year’s team.

“Debate is a work medium – you get what you put into this activity,” Zuckerman said. “ I would like to think we work harder than any other program in Kansas, and hopefully that will provide us with external rewards at the end of this season.” The last regular season tournament was Nov. 30 and Dec. 1.

Student Council volunteers 

Planning the sweetheart dance, wolf games and participating in community service, student council has been more than busy organizing activities for the student body.

This includes preparations for the movie night in the PAC showing Avengers on Dec.14, as well as participating in a community service project called Christmas Bureau, which provided holiday assistance to low-income residents of Johnson County.

Other activities planned by student council include winter and spring sports assemblies, all homecoming events and various activities throughout the school.

Senior class stuco representative Paige McKinzie advises students to speak up and take an active role.

“We hope that the student body enjoys the activities we have planned thus far, and if they have specific ideas they should  talk to a representative or a sponsor” McKinzie said.

Baking Club gets festive 

What: Each meeting has a designed theme to go with what the club will be baking that day. The past December meeting was designed around a Christmas theme with lots of baked goods
The next meeting in January will be winter themed with plenty more decorative treats. Senior Paige McKinzie would like more students to get involved in the baking activities because it’s a fun way to be apart of something.

“The main goal is to have fun by sharing helpful tips and delicious recipes,” McKinzie said. “It’s great meeting new people who enjoy a similar passion for baking.”

Next meeting: First Tuesday of every month

Time: 3 p.m.

Location: 504