The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

T-Wolf of the Week (09/08)

Jared Schultz

Most teachers use their summer breaks as a chance to relax or prepare for the upcoming year. However, new social studies teacher, Jared Schultz, spent his summer vacation as an active member of the United States military.

“I’m a field artillery officer and I am a platoon leader so I’m also a first lieutenant,” Schultz said. “My job is to lead a platoon of soldiers and the piece of equipment that we use — the ‘High Mars’ [which stands for] High Mobility Artillery Rocket System.”

Schultz started his journey in Iraq and Syria then traveled throughout the duration of his 10-month deployment, ultimately spending most of his time in Kuwait. After completing his service, Schultz decided to move back home and continue another dream of his: teaching. Even though he only has one year of teaching experience, he returned to the classroom and picked up right where he left off.

“It feels almost like a first year of teaching again, with just a little more knowledge,” Schultz said. “It was an easier transition back than I had anticipated.”

Schultz said his experiences in the military have not only enhanced his communication but have also given him a unique perspective of leadership.

“I would say [being in the military] has taught me how to communicate, because it’s one thing you have to do, especially in my role in the military,” Schultz said. “You have to be able to communicate what you want them to do and you can’t be there holding their hand the entire time. I like to do that a lot in my classroom where I give [my students] that guidance and then at their groups or tables, they have to go and execute.”