The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

Reading Review

Wolf Weekly 11/10: Opinion

Most students have had to read a plethora of books throughout their school careers. Whether enrolled in on-level, honors or AP, every student is required to read certain books for their English classes. Three books that have left a lasting impact on me have been “The Secret Life of Bees” by Sue Monk Kidd, “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald and “The Devil in the White City” by Erik Larson. Here are my thoughts on the three listed.

First up: “The Secret Life of Bees”. I read this in the summer between my freshman and sophomore years and it wasn’t my favorite. I don’t know if it was because I was assigned a book to read over summer break — a time for relaxation and no worries for anything school related — but I did not like this book. The story follows a 14-year-old girl named Lily with a complicated home life who ultimately runs away to discover more about her late mother. I liked the story and felt like there was potential there. However, the way in which Kidd told the story wasn’t pleasurable. All in all, I would give this book a 4 out of 10.

Next, I read “The Great Gatsby” my junior year in AP Language. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. Most of the classics I read before this one were pretty dry and I found it difficult to become invested in what I was reading. Gatsby was one of the first books that challenged this stereotype. The story is written from the perspective of Nick Carraway which allows for Fitzgerald to highlight the intricate and dynamic character relationships shown throughout the story. I was hooked the minute I read the first chapter, which is why this book gets a solid 10 out of 10.

Last, but certainly not least: “The Devil in the White City.” I also read this book in my junior year AP language class. This was a “non-fiction free read” assignment, meaning students were able to choose their own books as long as it was non-fiction. Since I was able to choose something that struck my interest, that might have had something to do with my strong positive association with the book. However, it is truly one of my favorite non-fiction books I have ever read. The story goes back and forth between describing America’s first World Fair held in Chicago and how the cruel mind of H. H. Holmes — one of the very first recorded serial killers — used the event as a way to lure unexpecting victims to their demise. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book which is why it deserves a 10 out of 10.

Although I may not have enjoyed every single book that was assigned to me throughout my academic career, I am grateful for the foundation reading those books has brought me.