The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

T-Wolf of the Week

Peyton Funk

For many, summer break is a time to get away from academics. Senior Peyton Funk saw it as the perfect opportunity to grow personally and expand her learning in a different environment: Paris, France.

“I wanted to study abroad so I could gain some independence, and plus it was a really great way for me to practice my language skills outside of the United States,” Funk said.

When studying abroad, students choose a specific topic and a certain country that they are interested in. Funk said she chose her major and minor based on future desires and love for the topic

“While abroad, my major was studio art and my minor was medicine,” Funk said. “I [chose art] because I really really really love art so much and I thought there was no better place to study art than a city full of it, and I chose medicine because I actually want to pursue medicine one day.”

Learning life in a new country requires one to adapt to an unfamiliar environment. Funk said it took her a few days before getting equipped for her new adventure in Paris.

“It took me a good amount of time to get accustomed,” Funk said. “It took a lot to first get over the jet lag and then, second, realize what our routine would be — mainly how the transport would work.”

Studying abroad gives students many opportunities and experiences. Funk said she would travel to another country to learn more if given the chance.

“I would definitely want to study abroad again,” Funk said. “It was truly one of the best experiences I’ve ever had, and I would recommend that everybody [should] do it, even if they don’t know the language of the country they are going to. I think it’s really important to learn about other cultures and experience a different life rather than your regular day life here.”