The Mass Communications Site of Blue Valley Southwest

BVSW News

BVSW News

BVSW News

T-Wolf of the Week (12/01)

Anthony Orrick

As the football season came to its end, many coaches and players got recognized for their hard work. Several student athletes were recognized, as well as head coach Anthony Orrick, who received EKL Coach of the Year.

“It is a very nice honor to have,” Orrick said. “Obviously I received the award, but it was a team award for all the players and assistant coaches. Without them, the award wouldn’t be possible.”

Orrick has 23 years of experience coaching football, always with the goal of helping players improve. This was his ninth year coaching at Southwest.

“I started coaching football 23 years ago. I got done playing college football and went right into coaching and teaching,” Orrick said. “I wanted to stay involved with athletics and try and help people to better themselves, not only in football but in general.”

As the season closed, Orrick said he reflected on his connections with the players. He said he enjoyed seeing them get closer as a team throughout the season.

“[When I reflect on the season, I’ll think of] the relationships between the team. They had a mission and a goal to try and win a state title and we got pretty close,” Orrick said. “They’re just great memories of great kids and great coaches. Just…good times.”

Similarly, Orrick said his favorite memories of the team were everyday practices and moments of connection.

“The best time we had was in practice each and every day,” Orrick said. “The players enjoyed being around each other. We also swept all the Blue Valley schools for the first time this year.”

The season’s success is in part due to the seniors on the team. Orrick said he has a message for them:

“Thank you. I enjoyed every part of our time together and you will all be dearly missed,” Orrick said.